The carrying of passengers using a bike is already part of everyday life in most major cities. Originally from developing countries, carrying passengers using a bike has become an environmentally friendly alternative for passenger transport in urban transport in recent decades.
The modern version of carrying passengers using a bike has been enjoying increasing popularity since the late 1990s.
Why there’s an increase in Passenger Bikes
On the one hand, this can be attributed to growing environmental awareness, since they produce no emissions.
On the other hand, the maneuverable models make it easier to get ahead in urban traffic.
Thus, the bicycle offers not only tourists an attractive alternative to bus tours, but is also interesting for city residents as a supplement to public transport.
What to remember when carrying a passenger
To take charge of the transport of a passenger is to be two and no longer alone in the face of risks. You must be in good standing for this and be aware of the physical implications. Keep these tips in mind:
1. Be in good standing
The first thing is to verify that you are authorized to carry a passenger! This authorization is mentioned on the registration card and implies that your vehicle is well equipped with a second seat, footrests, and handholds for the passenger.
2. Be aware of physical impacts
The behavior of the motorcycle is modified: more weight, the center of gravity moved upwards. This can come as a surprise, especially at low speeds and on curves, hence the need to be vigilant to better feel changes in the vehicle’s behavior and adapt its driving accordingly.
Such driving is the ideal occasion to check the pressure of its tires. Similarly, it may be useful to adjust the rear suspension to compensate for the crushing effect.
A passenger under your responsibility…
To take charge of the transport of a passenger is to be two and no longer alone in the face of risks.
- Before leaving, check his equipment (helmet and appropriate clothing)
- Help him to settle down: as close as possible to you (minimize the offset of the center of gravity), feet on the footrests, tight knees, posture in the axis of the two-wheelers, hands on the handle or handles of maintenance
Whether the passenger is used to it or not, remind him or her of the following principles of caution:
- Adjust its position in a straight line but never in a bend.
- Avoid sudden movements.
- Follow your movements, without exaggeration, in the curves.
- After establishing a communication code (emergency signals), move slowly at first to build confidence.
Important factors to consider when in traffic
Cycling is legal, therefore, participation is allowed on public roads. In order to be allowed to participate with a passenger in the road traffic, this must correspond to the regulations of the road traffic regulations.
It does not matter if the bike is bought, borrowed, or used as a bicycle taxi. Like a bicycle, it has to be equipped for road safety.
For more visibility in city traffic and due to the track width, traffic experts recommend equipping rickshaws with reflectors that indicate the width of other road users — for example, by installing reflectors at the outermost corners, both at the rear and at the front.
Traffic safety includes the following equipment:
- Light-colored bell
- Two independent brakes
- Two non-slip, firmly screwed pedals, which are equipped with yellow reflectors both at the rear and in the front
- A white front reflector and a red tail light
- Reflective strips or yellow spoke reflectors (two per wheel)
Failure to comply with the Highway Code, for example by driving under the influence of alcohol, as well as a non-roadworthy bike on the road can, as with a bicycle, fines. A helmet is not there, as well as the bike, not.
Drive well to the right, observe the marks on the ground, the lights, and signs, and keep your distance even by bike, it is important!
Joining bicycle taxi companies
Especially in big cities bicycle taxis are used for city tours or shorter distances in the inner cities. Bicycle taxi companies have firmly established themselves with bicycles and even electric bikes over the last few years. The tour with a bicycle taxi has become a popular city tour option.
The prices for the transport are charged either per kilometer or after the period of use. For the use of a bike as a taxi, prices vary depending on the provider and place between five and seven dollars per kilometer or from 24.00 dollars for 30 minutes of driving time.
In some cities, it is also possible to not only drive around by bike taxis but also rent them. Thus, the taxi bike has also developed into a tourist attraction.
The rental of bikes is usually possible at established bicycle rental companies. City tours or individual tours can be booked individually in many cities.
Other forms of taxi bicycles are available
- There is a distinction between the two basic forms of the bicycle. Most of the models found which are used as bicycle taxis are three-wheeled rear loaders. Here the driver is in front of the seat of his passengers.
- The second variant of the bike taxi is a three-wheeled front loader. This puts the drive unit and the driver behind the passengers so that they have a clear view of the terrain in front of them
There are various models of seats and equipment on the market to load his children on his two wheels. They are chosen according to the age and weight of the toddler, but also to the appreciation of the cyclist.
The most common, for its ease of use and price, is the seat (front or rear). The child is held there by a belt that adapts, preferably, to the level of his shoulders. The backrest, solid, must rise sufficiently high, without being too vertical.
Some seats have adjustable back support or may tip over if the child falls asleep. These seats are usually equipped with armrests, and places for small feet, a security asset, because the feet of the child cannot be caught on the shelves.
Transporting a child
Choose a helmet for your baby
In order for your bike rides with baby to go well, some steps must be taken to ensure its safety. Wearing a helmet is mandatory and the tether straps must be adjusted to combine comfort and safety. Protecting your baby’s head is essential.
Check the condition of the bike
Careful checking of the condition of the bike is strongly recommended before taking the road for an unhindered trip: tire inflation, functional brakes, fixing and height of the saddle and handlebars.
Check the attachment of the baby seat and consider installing a footrest for your child. Always favor the adjustable models.
Many accessories available in stores and specialized departments also allow you to improve the safety and comfort of your baby:
- The windshield: ideal when baby is sitting in the front of the bike, it easily attaches to the handlebars or the gallows of the bike and protects against wind, rain, dust and insects
- The neck cushion: The neck cushion ensures a good head support, cushioning shocks and allows the baby to comfortably doze off
- The double stand: it guarantees a better stability when you have to install only your baby in his seat
- The poncho: give yourself also a poncho that can cover the seat and the child: easy to put on, it allows to be safe if the weather were to spoil
Choose the right bike seat
Before going on a bike with a baby, you must of course get a suitable seat. As there are (very) many models, take the time to compare by asking the right questions: for what age, what use, how many children?
The most classic is the rear-mounted bike seat, solid, comfortable, approved for safety standards, with adjustable harnesses and footrests.
Nice too, the trailer that attaches to your two-wheelers, with the advantage of being able to carry two children and the picnic bag. Question security, the two are equal, so just try them to see where your preference goes.