Whether in the mountains, in the woods or in specially built hill parks: mountain biking is the trend. You can heat down steep mountain passages or make daring jumps. But the fun of riding is not without risks: the number of accidents is skyrocketing.
So what do you do in case of an accident?
If you have a bicycle accident, here are specific things you can do quickly in order to curtail the situation:
1. RidER down first aid
Falls occur during mountain biking, unfortunately, again and again. Limits are being tested, new tricks practiced, or just inattentive. Often they end well and after the horror it goes on!
But what should be done when something worse happens? You are still in rough terrain and the first-aid pack has stayed at home again? Because the whole thing is a stressful situation for the injured and often also for the mates, you will find below a few important rules of conduct for the emergency situation.
2. Open wound? Clean It
Everyone knows about abrasions after a fall or a collision. They are not a big deal, but they can still be painful. You should clean them on site and connect them makeshift.
Then head home to quickly disinfect the open wound to prevent inflammation. Heavily bleeding cuts or lacerations are some of the things you can experience during this painful moment.
Again, you should first remove dirt, stones and wood chips and then create a pressure bandage to stop the bleeding. For this one can use a jersey or other clothes if necessary.
Thereafter, as soon as possible, see a doctor or make an emergency call. Tetanus vaccinations are important in all wounds and need to be refreshed regularly.
3. Supply of open wounds
When connecting, make sure that both the bandage and the hands are as sterile as possible.
Therefore, first take the gloves from the first aid kit and cover. Only then touch the dressing material.
If sterile gloves are not available, you should start cycling gloves. There are, according to experience, fewer bacteria than on the hands.
So that nothing slips, make sure when applying the bandage that they bind to about a hand’s width above and below the joint.
Going to the ground, it often leads to bruises on the arms and legs. You should cool immediately if possible and at the latest after the tour treat the place with a cold pack and a decongestant ointment.
Broken bones in the middle of the terrain demand a certain amount of improvisation. Before you go to the hospital, you fix the affected area in a low-pain position.
For example, branches and a spare tube can be used. In case of fractured collarbones, it is advisable to fix the arm in a sling on the body. For open fractions, professional help should be requested immediately.
6. Head and Spine injuries?
A violent bicycle crash often causes a head injury. First, check that the injured person is approachable, ie conscious.
If this is not the case, you need to remove the helmet as soon as possible. This must be done with extreme caution so that any vertebral injuries do not worsen.
The best way to fix the head is by grasping with both hands from the front, below the ears into the neck of the injured person. Only then should a second helper take off the helmet carefully.
Thereafter proceed until the arrival of the rescue service as you have learned in your first aid course: stable lateral position, check respiration, remove any foreign bodies from the mouth, if necessary respiration and chest compression.
If the injured person is conscious, they should talk to him a lot until the arrival of the ambulance to distract him from his bicycle accident and prevent possible shock.
If you fall on your head, take special care. Even if you do not have any complaints at first, you should stay very alert, because even hours later you may experience symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, pain and even loss of consciousness, which may require an immediate medical visit.
Anyone who has been unconscious for a short time or who can no longer remember the accident must, in principle, go to the hospital for further examinations.
If it has cracked on impact , pain in the neck or back area occur, the fall victim may not be moved as possible. The rescue service must be alerted and come to the scene of the accident.
7. Abdominal trauma
It happens again and again that you rammed the handlebar or any other object violently in the belly fall. Externally, it may look harmless, but it can cause internal injuries, which should definitely be treated in hospital. Go to the hospital for check.
8. Emergency Call
Basically, if you’re traveling alone, you should always have a cell phone with you and stay in your comfort zone. A doctor’s visit or emergency call too much is better than one too little.
The exact emergency/accident report is very important for the rescue services because they can use the information to prepare for the emergency/accident. In the emergency/accident report, you should concisely the following five “W ‘ s ” note:
- Where is the emergency/accident? In the terrain not easy! If necessary, determine the location with the smartphone.
- What happened?
- How many injured / affected people are to be cared for?
- Which injuries or symptoms do the affected persons have?
- Always wait for questions from the Rescue Coordination Center!
When the emergency call center ends the call, the first responder at the scene of the accident can be sure that they have received all the necessary information to initiate a professional rescue.
This is especially important if the bicycle accident occurred in the middle of the forest. Then the emergency call center may need to perform a location that takes a few minutes.
Salvage of the injured after a bicycle crash
Especially in difficult terrain, recovering an injured person who can no longer walk alone is more difficult than often assumed.
Anyone who is on his own during the recovery and determines that he has no cell phone reception at the scene of the accident can try the following:
One possibility is the rescue by means of rescue blanket. She is placed around the injured person’s shoulders and then liberated from a possible predicament.
If at least two helpers are on site after a bicycle accident, they should try the so-called wearing ring, a robust garment that is turned into a ring. The injured person can sit in the ring and be carried.
What to remember:
1. Insurance Cover: If you have an accident with a motor vehicle registered and in motion (car, motorcycle, truck), you are covered by the insurance, even if the vehicle does not touch you not directly and without regard to the responsibility of anyone. You can read more on:
Types of Bike Insurance Plans to get a firsthand information on the benefits you stand to gain, in the event of a bike accident.
To the extent that you are still in your control and even if you do not have serious injuries, have an accident report written by a police officer or make a report out of court with the driver of the vehicle.
- If you have any doubt about the severity of your injuries, even if they appear minor, go for a medical examination within 24 hours. If you have injuries, the insurance will cover the costs of your injuries without regard to liability and up to the maximums expected.
- If you have property damage and the driver of the vehicle is responsible for the accident, you can go to the civil courts to claim the damages (broken bike, etc.).
- We observe two cases of frequent accidents where motorists are responsible. First case: a door opens and you hit it. The driver is responsible for looking before opening the door to make sure the lane is clear. Second case: you drive to the right of the road and a car strikes you by turning right, while you continue straight ahead and have priority. The motorist had to give you the passage because he was turning and not you.
2. No Insurance Cover: If you have an accident with a stationary motor vehicle (without driver), with another cyclist or with a pedestrian, be aware that you are not covered by the insurance plan. If you intend to sue the other person involved in the accident, have a police report prepared. In this case, if you have injuries, go for a medical examination within 24 hours. As a general rule, it is the private insurance of the individuals that will settle the damages, if the responsibility is demonstrated.
It may also be that the responsibility for the accident is not clear or you are responsible for the accident: the other party may decide to pursue you. In such a case, if you have private liability insurance (which comes with your home insurance), you are generally covered for this kind of liability. Notify your insurer as soon as possible.
In any case, it may also be that in the face of the obvious, the offending party assumes its responsibilities and wishes to settle amicably.
- Also contact customer service or consult our website for the details of the accident insurance offered to you with your membership.
3. Insurance cover: If you have an accident caused by a break or an obstacle on the roadway, you are not covered by the insurance. If you have physical or material damage and wish to sue, you must first determine which authority is responsible for the street, road, runway or bridge.
You will have to determine who manages the road on which you had your accident: the municipality, the bike lane manager or the federal government. After establishing responsibility, you must act quickly.
In the case of cities, you must notify the clerk, by registered mail, of your intention to sue the city concerned for your property damage, within 15 days of the accident. Municipalities even have a form provided for this purpose.