As a person who loves riding a bike I believe that weather or season should not stop me from enjoying riding my bike. This is why I insist on riding my bike even during winter.
But I had to get a special bike that can handle the snow that falls during winter. I had an ordinary bike but I came to realize that there are some elements of winter that it could not handle.
The bikes that are specifically meant to be used during winter come with special features that are suitable for the winter conditions.
If you know the best bike for winter commuting you will enjoy riding your bike even during winter and as a result ensure you remain healthy and also enjoy riding the bike.
Here are the top ten winter friendly bikes:
1. Diamondback Clarity STI-8
This particular bike has been specifically been designed to make riding on snow safe and convenient. This has been made possible by the fact that it has certain unique features that makes it ideal for areas with snow.
Some of these features include that the shifting components of the bike are enclosed. The importance of this is that even if you ride on snow the shifting components will not be damaged by the ice and snow. The specific features of this sturdy bike include:
- Fork material and the frame are made using aluminum
- The total weight is 26 pounds
- The front hub is made using alloy
- The wheels come with puncture resistant and wide tires that are ideal for areas with snow
I have a neighbor who owns this particular bike and I have seen her ride it comfortably during winter. She has also been using it for almost two years now and this shows that the bike is durable.
2. Novara Ponderosa Mountain Bike
You will also enjoy riding this bike during winter for it comes with 25.7 inch wheels to provide the necessary traction while riding on snow. It also has top quality braking system where it has hydraulic disc breaks which make it easy to operate regardless of the conditions.
Furthermore, this particular winter friendly bike has a compact frame which allows it to support different weights. This is important because it allows the bike to be used even by people who are relatively heavier. The specific features of this mountain bike include:
- A frame made of triple butted aluminum
- Twenty gears which allow better control
- The total weight is 28.6 pounds
- The tires are made for racing even in wet conditions
The design of this particular mountain bike is in a way that you can change the tires and put the ones you prefer. You will also enjoy the easy control of the bike mainly because of the enhanced braking system.
3. Yeti 575 x 01 Mountain Bike
The main outstanding quality of this winter friendly bike is that it has an AS suspension design. This design is helpful because it slightly shortens the wheelbase consequently making control better.
The wide wheels of the bike are also helpful when it comes to providing stability while riding on snow. The main features of this bike include;
- A rear travel of 5.75 inches
- A frame made of hydro formed allot
- Rear shock which can be adjusted
- A strong fork which is able to support almost any weight
4. Trek Farley
This particular bike is a combination of a fat bike and a mountain bike. It has an ultra light frame what despite being made using light materials it is very strong. You will also enjoy wide tires and unique suspension therefore giving you a better control.
The specific features of the bike include:
- A frame made using platinum aluminum
- An option of eleven gears
- A special routing system for providing protection
- Modern tubes and wide tires which enhance durability and stability
This was my first bike and I still enjoy riding it especially when it is snowing heavily. This is because the bike does not easily slide even when on very wet conditions.
5. Surly Pugsley
This is one of the best winter-friendly bikes mainly because it comes with very wide tires. It also has a frame which is stronger than most of the ordinary winter bikes.
Furthermore, it will provide you with a number of options which will provide you with different riding options. The specific features of this particular bike include:
- A frame made using chromoly steel
- A double butted tubing system
- 26 inch wheels
- Surly ultra new front hub
- An option of 18 gears
6. Orro Terra C 5800 Hydro
The unique feature that you will enjoy on this particular winter friendly bike is the Innegra shielding which is meant to protect the different parts. This is paramount especially while riding on snow since snow can easily get into some of the important areas. Among the specific features of this bike include;
- Long mudguards to remove snow
- 23 inch tires which are also wide to improve stability
- Hydraulic disc brakes which operates even on wet conditions
- An aluminum frame
To effectively ride this bike you will need to practice in normal conditions before riding on snow. This is meant to provide you with skills on how to control the bike on snow.
7. Specialized Allez Elite
The specialized bike is also a top winter-friendly bike mainly because of its strong frame which can handle almost any weight. Despite having a strong frame the bike is very light which is helpful when it comes to control.
While sitting on the bike you will also be optimally comfortable because its height does not require you to lean while riding. The specific features of the bike include:
- A wide ranging geometry design
- A frame made using aluminum
- Wide tires for improved traction
- A light but strong frame for better control
8. Canyon Inflite
This particular bike qualifies to be among the best winter friendly bikes because of its comfortable features. The design of this particular bike is in a way that you can ride for long hours without feeling uncomfortable. Some of the specific features of this bike include:
- A carbon seat that is optimally comfortable
- An aluminum frame that is strong and light
- A hydraulic brake system that is ideal for wet conditions
- 18 gearing options
Originally this bike was made to be used on rough terrains. But the manufacturers improved different features especially the tires to make the bike ideal for winter.
9. Whyte Wessex
This winter friendly bike has especially been made to enhance speed on snow while at the same time providing optimum safety. This means that even if you ride this bike relatively fast you will still be safe provided you control it properly.
This has been made possible by a number of features that have been put in place by the manufacturer. The specific features of this winter friendly bike include:
- A single chaining system that significantly reduces maintenance
- Wide tires that run on reduced pressure to provide stability
- A frame made of aluminum to provide strength
- Disk brakes which can work even when it is wet.
10. Ribble CGR 105
The most outstanding feature of this particular winter friendly bike is that it has a unique and outstanding design. The unique design is meant to ensure that you are optimally safe even in case of an accident.
It also has a chain system that is covered to ensure the chain is not affected by the snow. The specific features of this bike include:
- Long mudguards to remove the snow
- Disc braking system that can work perfectly even on wet conditions
- Reduced weight which makes it easier to ride and control
- Enhanced tires and tubes which can withstand snow
This particular bike has more features that most ordinary winter bikes. The importance of this is to provide you with more options to choose from and therefore enjoy riding the bike on snow more.
It is evident that you do not have to stop riding just because it is winter. All what you need is to select the best bike for winter commuting.
The bike you choose should have features that will ensure that you are comfortable and safe. I know riding on snow can be risky and as a result that’s why I advise people to always know the features to check while choosing the ideal winter friendly bike.
Therefore, you can conveniently enhance your health and remain athletic even during winter just by choosing the right bike for winter commuting.