A hybrid bike is an everyday bike that can be used for a multitude of activities.
Hybrid is generally defined as a bike halfway between a racing bike, of which it retains the shape of the frame, and a mountain bike, from which it inherits intermediate tires and a more relaxed driving position.
However, the name “hybrid” may indicate different types of mixtures between bike types. These bikes were born in the last ten years and were designed for cycling and trekking and for the biker who wants to find a suitable bike for both excursions on asphalt and for short stretches on dirt roads.
Typical features of mountain biking
- A more relaxed and comfortable driving position
- Stronger materials to withstand the stresses of uneven terrain
- Wide tire wheels for improved stability
- Shape of the diamond scraper
- Straight or slightly curved handlebars
Typical characteristics of the racing bike
- Light rims for good speed
- Fast ratios
- Lightweight components
How a hybrid bike is made
Regarding the main components, the hybrid bike is characterized by:
- Wheels with a large diameter to promote stability but with high-pressure tires like in road bikes. The rims and spokes are made of lightweight material because the hybrid bike is not suitable for very rough terrain that stresses the wheels too much. The most common measure is 28-inch or 700C.
- Steel or aluminum frame, resistant materials and not too high price. There are also carbon models on the market, but the prices of these hybrid bikes rise significantly. There are models with hybrid bike frames for men and women’s hybrid bikes.
- Flat handlebar to allow the cyclist to stay perpendicular to the ground and less strain the back than a racing bike.
- Multiple relationships that allow me to tackle routes of varying slope. The gearbox control is installed on the handlebar with a system of levers. The number of reports can vary from 16 to 27 and before choosing a bike it is important to think well about the types of routes you want to tackle. In the lowlands it is advisable to opt for a bike with fewer ratios and therefore lighter while in the hills or mountains it is necessary to have a hybrid bike with more gears available.
- V or disk brakes. The disc brakes are present in the latest generation of bikes and ensure perfect braking even on wet or muddy terrain.
- Platform pedals to allow the cyclist to get on and off the vehicle more easily and quickly in any type of condition. However, as with any bicycle, you can change and install quick release pedals, to give more pedaling power and fluidity.
- Comfortable saddle in ergonomic material. Some models are equipped with suspension to absorb the mechanical shocks of the rear wheel.
- Triple crown crankset to ensure greater versatility during the ascents.
- Possibility to mount luggage racks and baskets. Since they have been designed for quite long journeys, it is convenient to be able to carry any baggage with them without impeding the movements.
- Presence of mudguards and chains for city models. The mudguards protect the wheels from dirt and debris while the chain guard prevents the clothes from getting stuck in the chain.
- Presence of other accessories such as doorbell and lights. According to the Italian road code, these components are mandatory for all the bicycles that travel on public roads, so it’s a good idea to buy a hybrid bike that already has a bell and headlights or add them manually.
Why choose a hybrid bike?
It’s the perfect bike to ride with your family, go to work, and even get in shape. Due to the utility nature of hybrid bicycles, a variety of accessories can be installed, such as a kickstand, luggage rack, fenders, or even a child seat.
Categories of hybrid bicycles
Commonly called sport hybrid, the hybrid performance is a bike to do everything, capable of great versatility. It offers a slightly sloping position that promotes comfort and efficiency, and has tires capable of rolling on gravel like asphalt. Its rather lightweight and its mountain bike speeds make it efficient in the ribs as well as on the flat.
On the other hand, some performance hybrids feature thinner tires, higher road-speed ratios, and a sportier stance to make them more fit for training.
Cyclist type: You want to ride with your family, get in shape, or simply move with an efficient bike.
With its wider tires, its high handlebars and its well padded saddle, the comfort hybrid is suitable for recreational use. It has a suspension seatpost and sometimes a suspension fork to isolate the cyclist from the discomfort of the road.
We appreciate his straight driving position and his comfortable saddle. Not to be overlooked, the comfort hybrid is usually heavier than a performance hybrid.
Cyclist type: Comfort is your priority, your outings are rather short and you are not looking for performance.
Uses of hybrid bicycle
The hybrid bike is therefore suitable for those who do not intend to use it for sports or long training and want to opt for a safe, comfortable and versatile.
It is perfect for the daily movements of those who live in the city, for those who like to make a picnic by bike in nature or to go to work.
Although it does not offer the same performance as a racing bike, it can be used to stay in shape for those with no particular competitive ambitions. Finally, it can easily be transformed into a mountain bike and used on very uneven ground simply change the rims and tires.
The most popular brands
If during the holidays or a relaxing weekend you have discovered the joys of road cycling and want to get started, this article will help you to find good places. Most of the following brands practice the best value for money on the market.
Trek Hybrid Bike
Trek is the king of cycling and everything that revolves around: equipment, clothing, accessories. It is also one of the only brands to market electric bikes for those who are reluctant to make efforts to move.
Just for its road bikes, everyone can choose according to the desired performance and the journey to go. Faced with this wide choice, we can say that the brand carries out its mission to offer a wide choice to pros cyclists and the most demanding amateurs.
Their hybrid bikes are handy and versatile that will take you wherever you want. The light, fun and comfortable companion will not tire you over the miles. It is a comfort hybrid bike, that is to say it offers a higher driving position as well as wider tires for a better comfort.
Whether on the road or the path, for leisure or fitness, for a Sunday outing or for daily trips, with the Verve you will ride in joy and good mood.
- Comfortable and adapted to the road and paths
- Lightweight and sturdy frame for easy and pleasant driving
- Hybrid wheels fast and comfortable, to go even further
- Backed by Trek Lifetime Warranty
High quality: This item can meet your requirements if you are looking for the best brand of road bikes. Indeed, it is manufactured with materials that have been carefully selected to ensure its strength and durability.
Well-thought out: In addition to the quality of materials, the device also has some changes compared to other models on the market. This is the case for the trough on the pedal or the wire storage system.
Performance: This article has been designed to improve your pedaling performance every time you ride it. By investing in this product, you can benefit from total control. Aerodynamic efficiency is also guaranteed with the rear triangle of the device.
Customizable: Because we have several frame sizes to choose from (S, M, L and XL), we can easily choose a bike that suits our growth and preferences.
Comfortable driving: Because of the front shock absorber, the ride is extremely comfortable (also on difficult and uneven terrain). All because we do not feel steering vibrations.
Fenders can be mounted: The frame has been designed so that if necessary we can install mudguards to prevent mud from getting dirty. In this case, we also have the option of attaching the luggage compartment.
Puncture insole in tires: The tires have an anti-puncture insole that prevents accidental punctures, for example when hitting a sharp stone.
Giant Hybrid Bike
Giant is aptly named. It is indeed one of the world giants and the largest suppliers of amateurs and professionals in sports equipment, especially as regards the bike: shoes, locks, protections, tools.
Moreover, when we visit our site, we are faced with a range more than complete quality products: road bike, city bike, hybrid, you will find for all existing activities. Just for its road bikes, there are more than a dozen models adapted to the needs of each.
With its lightweight ALUXX aluminum frame, stable 700c wheels and straight geometry, the Giant Hybrid Bike are ready for anything. It is a very versatile bike, perfectly suited for use on bike paths, in the city, and even on some unpaved trails.
Accessories can easily be fitted to the Escape, such as a stand, luggage rack, bottle racks or mudguards. Easy gear ratios will help you ride up the hill, while the sporty, but straight geometry will give you all the comfort you need.
- Aluminum frame ALUXX
- Advanced quality composite fork with aluminum fork post
- Shimano Deore transmission with hydraulic disc brakes
- Double-walled aluminum wheels
- Giant CrossCut Metro 2 tires
1. Superior design: This product ranks among the best examples for its high build quality. The presence of carbon fiber is very advantageous because it provides the necessary resistance to the bike.
2. Performance: This device incorporates a particularly effective braking and speed control system. This testifies to the reliability of this article which is very popular with expert cyclists. If you decide to acquire this material, you will have a powerful equipment.
3. Functional: The weight of this item has been significantly reduced so you can handle it more easily. Given its lightness, it will gain power and especially speed during races.
4. Internal cable routing: Due to the internal cable routing, these elements are perfectly protected against dirt. Such a solution avoids their quick damage, and we do not need to mount special protective armor. This makes us not overly burden the bike.
5. Stylish design: The vehicle’s construction is made of polished, brushed aluminum and painted with multilayer varnish. Stickers have been affixed to the frame that do not peel off and fade. The bike looks great even after a longer period of use.
6. Lightness: The product does not weigh much, which means that we will not have a problem with mounting it on the roof rack of the car or bringing it down the stairs.
7. Availability of several frame sizes: In this case we have a choice of several frame sizes, as a result of which we will certainly find a model ideally suited to growth.
8. Comfortable saddle: The saddle is so wide that we will not feel any discomfort even after a few hours of driving.